Friday, March 31, 2006

Friday.

Not that anyone gives a rat’s ass, but I’ve had too much happening this week to find time to blog.

A couple of interesting notes. First, I was preparing to register for another semester of college at Normandale and discovered that I have but eight credits to go before I can transfer to the U of M. I’m taking six credits over the summer and plan to take a foreign language (finally) in the fall, meaning spring 2007 I’ll be (hopefully) attending a “real” college.

This blindsided me because it means the clock is ticking for me to decide on a major. Everything I consider turns out to not interest me. I considered Communications, but I’m currently working in Communications and it sucks ass. It’s all about pleasing people, eight hours a day, day in and day out, and that’s not what I’m about. I hate dealing with people. I’m good at it, but it eats away at my insides like cancer. I’m not into faux cancer, so Communications is out.

I considered teaching, but just don’t think I have what it takes. A lot of my fellow Normandale students are planning on teaching, and most are fresh-faced 19-year old girls who have visions of construction paper and safety scissors in their pretty heads. I feel like providing them each a link to Leab’s website to give ‘em a dose of reality.

What I want to do is be funny, but as far as I’m aware no programs in “funny” are offered anywhere. A friend who makes his living as a freelance business writer suggested that I look into the University of Wisconsin-Madison since that’s where the Onion was born. He says there are genuinely funny people on that campus.

I’m not sure the wife would smile upon a move to Madison. Madison doesn’t exactly scream progress.

I don’t know, I guess I’ll just ride it out and hope something hits me like a bolt out of the blue.

How did you guys decide on your careers? Are you happy?